Marks Consulting Partners are currently looking for a Safety Project Surveyor to work with one of our Housing Association clients in London.
What the job will be doing
- Provide robust technical advice to the Property Safety Department on buildings in relation to property safety, namely in relation to fire safety, gas safety, structura safety, water hygiene, electrical, lifts and asbestos.
- Applying the principles of building surveying, which include building design, components, fabric and structure in helping the Property Safety Department to manage the compliance of buildings, particularly in relation to external wall systems, compartmentation, height of buildings and materials used.
- Reviewing all activities that impact the safety of buildings, e.g. planned preventative maintenance, repairs, remediation works, refurbishments and servicing, and appropriately responding, when required, with relevant support, to ensure all reasonable measures are taken to reduce risk.
- Undertaking regular site visits to ensure that works that have impact on property safety are reviewed and any issue(s) identified are escalated and managed until completion, including those actioned by other department.
- Ensure that the Property Safety Department has comprehensive data on the structural integrity of all Clients buildings and use this information to inform other activities, such as development of building safety cases.
- Review proposed/scheduled works and working practices to ensure buildings are well maintained and their fire safety and structural integrity is not compromised and ensure that contractors deliver services at high standards.
- Produce detailed written reports on areas of non-compliance, with clear and pragmatic solutions and plans to address the non-compliance. These reports / recommendations also need to clearly cite the relevant regulations, British Standards and or guidance in order to maintain statutory or regulatory requirements of a building and managing them until completion.
- Regular inspections of property safety related works, such as major works led by the Property Safety Department, to ensure these works do not compromise the safety of residents / buildings.
- To work collaboratively with colleagues in the Property Safety Department and other departments in the organisation.
- Providing technical input, including occasional site visits, at various stages of the development process and assist in ensuring risk mitigation. This includes both the design and construction of new developments in relation to property/fire safety to ensure residents live in compliant homes.
- Liaising with Local Authorities, HSE, Fire Service, Building Control and other external agencies and professional bodies to obtain relevant advice and/or provide responses on matters pertaining to areas of responsibilities for this role.
- Together with colleagues, deliver the Property Safety Department’s resident engagement strategy.
- Procure new services in line with Client procurement procedures and ensure that work by contractors or consultants is completed to the relevant statutory and regulatory standards and Client high standards.
- Assist in ensuring Client responds robustly and expeditiously to any safety enforcement notices/orders.
- Respond to or assist in responding to complaints in line with Clients timeframes and other relevant policies and procedures to the satisfaction of the complainant, use any lessons learnt from these complaints to improve service delivery.
- Ensure Clients complies with Approved Document B of the Building Regulations, NHBC standards, The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, BS 9991: 2015 and all other relevant government and regulatory guidance and new relevant legislation
- To implement and champion Clients Equality & Diversity Policy, Health and Safety Policy and related policies and procedures.
How to Apply
If you would like any further details about this position, please contact Liam at Marks Consulting Partners.
If this job is not quite right for you but you are looking for something new, please contact us for a confidential discussion.
Marks Consulting Partners specialise in contract and permanent recruitment of technical property staff for the public sector including housing associations, local authorities, and related private sector companies. We do not advertise all of our vacancies so please give us a call and register with us to be notified of all suitable roles.