Marks Consulting Partners are currently looking for a Building Surveyor to work with one of our Local Authority clients in South London.
What the job will be doing
- To advise members of the public and colleagues of options in relation to repairs, improvements and adaptations of residential dwellings. To include advice on Council policy in relation to disabled adaptations, private sector renewal, empty properties, repairs to adaptations, handyperson services and any other associated services. Also to include advice on assistance that may be available via other organisations such as Central Government or energy providers.
- To carry out the full range of building surveying tasks associated with the identification, specification and implementation of building and associated works to residential properties.
- To procure contractors to undertake building and associated works in line with the Council’s Contract Standing Orders and local procedures or use existing procurement arrangements such as Schedule of Rates contracts or preferred provider arrangements.
- To act as Contract Administrator for designated building projects, including issuing of site instructions and authorisation of payment certificates.
- To liaise with statutory, professional and other bodies to ensure that all legal requirements in relation to building works are met. For example, Town and Country Planning, Building Control, CDM Co-ordinators and utility companies.
- Where appropriate, to commission specialist reports in relation to proposed works, for example, structural engineers or asbestos removal. To evaluate reports provided by specialists, acting upon advice and ensuring the service user or other client is properly informed.
- To liaise with engineering staff and external suppliers and manufacturers of specialist equipment for people with disabilities. To ensure that any installation meets the needs of the service user.
- To liaise with other professionals involved in building projects or prospective building projects including occupational therapists, housing caseworkers, housing advisors and policy staff in order to advise on technical matters and to undertake joint working as required.
- To undertake a range of other technical tasks commensurate with the grade of the post. For example, to undertake feasibility studies, to undertake structural and conditions surveys of both housing and non housing buildings, to advise on repair and maintenance issues and to assess properties for suitability for occupation by disabled people.
- To maintain accurate records of casework and other projects, where appropriate using computerised ordering and recording systems, including computer aided design.
- To provide written and verbal reports on areas in relation to the postholder’s responsibility. To deal with written correspondence, complaints and enquiries.
- To deputise for the Senior Building Surveyor as required, to provide cover for colleagues in their absence and to provide technical advice and support to the Technical Officers and Handypersons within the Team.
- To participate in the development of procedures, identifying areas for potential improvement and making recommendations as appropriate.
- To keep up to date on developments in relation to building works, products and services, legislation, regulations and other matters relevant to the postholder’s area of responsibility.
- To undertake any other work appropriate to the level and general nature of the duties of the post.
- To carry out all duties with due regard to the provisions of health and safety regulations and legislation, data protection legislation, the Council’s equal opportunities and customer care policies, and any local agreements.
How to Apply
If you would like any further details about this position, please contact Liam at Marks Consulting Partners.
If this job is not quite right for you but you are looking for something new, please contact us for a confidential discussion.
Marks Consulting Partners specialise in contract and permanent recruitment of technical property staff for the public sector including housing associations, local authorities, and related private sector companies. We do not advertise all of our vacancies so please give us a call and register with us to be notified of all suitable roles.
Repairs & Maintenance